A Woman’s Health Advantage
Author: Maharishi Ayurveda Date Posted:28 September 2015
Did you know that menstruation is actually a woman’s health advantage? It’s a time when the physiology purifies itself in order to maintain balance. Being in tune with nature allows us to experience our inner cycles more smoothly and thus get the maximum benefit from this monthly renewal process.
Did you know?
- How easily a woman passes through her menstrual cycle is influenced by the amount of impurities and the degree of imbalance in her physiology
- PMS and discomfort during this process are simply the body’s cry for help
- Impurities, poor diet, stress and over-work can create havoc with our biological rhythms
- The menstrual cycle is also affected by changes and stress in our daily life
- Having a period indicates that the body is in a fit state to have a baby. When our period is late or we go without having one, it is nature’s way of saying you are not healthy and rested enough to carry a child
Tips for comfort
Our bodies are highly intelligent and the experience of imbalance or discomfort is just a cry for help. The easiest way to ensure a comfortable period is avoid the accumulation of toxins, stress and fatigue during the month by adopting the following tips
Be in tune with nature’s cycles
Our body works more efficiently if we get up and go to bed at about the same time each day, eat regular meals and get enough rest. If we are living out of sync with nature or constantly changing our daily routine, our physiology is forced to exert a lot of energy just to maintain our digestion, elimination and energy levels
Weak digestion, poor diet, excessive alcohol and caffeine consumption and no exercise all contribute to a build up of toxins in the body. The physiology attempts to clean them out during menstruation. Its effectiveness and level of cramping or discomfort depends on the amount of impurities present
- Take more rest During menstruation the body naturally wants to rest and you may feel more sensitive or inward. This is a subtle message to slow down. Taking it easy on the first few days of your period, reducing your exercise programme and having time to yourself will help you have a smoother time during menstruation
- Avoid heavy foods such as cheese, chocolate and meat in the week prior menstruation and during the days of menstrual flow
- Sip boiled water or Smooth Cycle Tea throughout the month and especially the week prior and during menses. Smooth Cycle Tea is a pleasant mint-flavoured tea with Angelica glauca, Hibiscus Flower and Rose Petals and Licorice to help balance hormonal flow, Indian sarsaparills and Winter cherry to aid resistance to stress and balance mind and emotions
- Do a full body oil massage during the month but not on the days of menstrual flow
- Reduce Stress Learn Transcendental Meditation. If life is pretty hectic and stressful consider taking Stress Relief 1-2 tablets prior breakfast and evening meals or prior meditations
Balance the doshas
Ayurveda understands PMS and menstrual problems in terms of imbalance in the doshas and treats it by balancing a particular dosha. This tends to fix a number of problems at once, instead of focusing on each one individually
- Vata out of balance can give rise to sweet cravings, insomnia, constipation, irregular periods and cramping.
Vata is soothed by following a regular routine, getting enough rest and favouring warm, unctuous food
Herbal help: Take Vital Lady 1-2 tablets 15-30 minutes prior breakfast and evening meals
- Too much of Pitta’s fire can cause irritability, skin problems, migraines and excessive bleeding.
Pitta is balanced by relaxation, being in nature and favouring cooling foods such as fresh fruit and salad
Herbal help: Take Gyneco Support 2-4 tablets prior breakfast and evening meals
- The heavy, sticky qualities of excess Kapha can manifest as weight gain, fluid retention, lethargy and depression
Kapha is reduced by getting up early, exercising and eating whole grains and cooked vegetables
Take Rejuvenation for Ladies and Digest Tone 1 tablet of each 3 times a day 15-30 minutes prior meals
Wishing you the bliss of a smooth and comfortable monthly cycle!
|Linda Sinden has been a practising Maharishi Ayurveda Consultant since 1990 and is a regular contributor to our weekly Insights. She has a practice in Auckland, New Zealand and also provides phone or Skype sessions for those who need assistance, but don’t have a consultant in their vicinity. Email: [email protected] Skype: Linda.Sinden
Mobile: +64 212237525