How’s Your Balance of Ojas and Ama?
Author: Maharishi Ayurveda Date Posted:23 November 2015
Ayurvedic texts locate eight drops of ojas in the heart and explain that it is the basis of immunity and indeed of life itself.
“It is the Ojas that keeps all living beings refreshed. There can be no life without Ojas. It marks the beginning of the form of the embryo. It is the nourishing fluid of the embryo and it enters the heart right at the beginning of its initial formation. Loss of Ojas amounts to the loss of life itself. It sustains life and is located in the heart. It constitutes the essence of all the Dhatu’s (tissue elements). The life force Prana owes its existence to it” - Charak Samhita
When digestion is incomplete or partial then ama or impurities build and spread throughout the body and localize where there has been injury, overuse or underuse. This disrupts bodily functions causing imbalance and in time dis-ease arises.
In a practical sense we know ama to be a buildup of impurities, which mixes with the imbalance of dosha to give more serious symptoms of discomfort and degenerative dis-ease.
- Too much dryness (dry skin, early wrinkling, constipation) when mixed with ama contributes to nervous system disorders, hypertension, stroke etc.
- Too much wetness (mucous, cough, fluid retention) when mixed with ama becomes sinusitis, bronchitis, asthma, diabetes, high cholesterol etc.
- Too much heat (hot flushes, acidity, loose bowel) when mixed with ama becomes inflammatory diseases, skin disease, ulcers, hot flushes, migraines etc.
So what to do? Cleanse ama, reduce it’s buildup and increase your production of ojas
How to increase Ojas and reduce Ama?
There is a lot you can do to maximise the life giving production of ojas and to minimise ama. Here’s how you can use your dietary choices to really make a difference.
- Take Digest Tone to reduce the build up of ama and to optimise the formation of Ojas from full and complete digestion. Take 1 tablet prior your main meals (especially your evening meal).
- Ensure you have the right balance of tastes and food qualities to balance your doshas by cooking with the Seasonal Churna - Vata for winter, Pitta for summer and Kapha for spring time.
- Enhance the promotion of Ojas by taking either Nervous System Support or treat yourself with Amrit Kalash Ambrosia and Nectar.
- Eat according to your capacity when hungry and avoid overeating.
- Avoid eating until the previous meal is digested.
- Make lunch the main meal of the day.
- Eat warm cooked meals. Avoid large amounts of raw food; ripe fruit is good.
- Have a light supper.
- Take less ice-cold beverages and food, especially if Agni (digestive Fire) is not strong or it is a cold season.
- Avoid Tamasic foods (non- life supporting foods eg. leftovers, highly processed foods, fast foods, foods with artificial ingredients or additives).
- Favour a Sattvic diet ie. lacto-vegetarian diet. If eating meat, have it at lunchtime when it can be most easily digested.
- Avoid eating too quickly.
- Eat with full attention on the meal (avoid reading, watching TV, etc while eating).
- Avoid emotional upsets during meal times.
- Take heavier, less easily digested foods (eg fried foods, salads) in moderate quantities and when the digestive fire is strongest – at the midday meal or at the beginning of a meal.
Wishing you the bliss of a mind and body that is rich with Ojas.