For A Smoother Cycle
Date Posted:3 December 2013
A smooth cycle is what Nature intended.
Modern lifestyles, diets and stress can knock your cycle out of balance. Ayurveda herbs can help to rebalance Apana Vata, the Ayurvedic sub-dosha responsible for the normal, downward flow of menstruation and elimination. Keeping this subdosha balanced is a priority in Ayurveda for a smooth monthly cycle.
Specific Ayurvedic herbs can also help remove digestive impurities (ama) that, in the Ayurvedic model, can lead to menstrual discomfort. The herbs and minerals in Smooth Cycle help nourish and balance your hormones, emotions, mind, liver, blood, hemoglobin, digestion, bones and fertility.
Ayurveda and Your Cycle
There are traditional Ayurvedic herbs known for their ability to support feminine health.
Combined in precise proportions and prepared properly, these herbs aid the bioavailability and assimilation of vital nutrients. This formulation of herbs creates a synergy – where the collective benefit is much greater than that of isolated, individual herbs. This synergistic power is an important goal in Maharishi Ayurveda formulations. The specific herbs are:
- Asoka Tree, Lodh Tree and Sacred Fig — three of the most famous herbs for feminine health. They help balance the menstrual flow (Apana Vata), hormones and emotions (Sadhaka Pitta).
- Mango Seed, Lodh Tree, Sacred Fig, Sandalwood and Water Lily promote the normal quantity of blood flow.
- Iron Bhasma (Ferri Sulphuratum) and Mineral Pitch help maintain the proper level of hemoglobin.
Preparing for an Easier Cycle
Because of the variety of issues and the involvement of so many subdoshas, it is always good to see an Ayurvedic expert to tailor a programme to your specific needs. However, here are traditional guidelines for a woman’s monthly cycle:
1) Detox: “Keep your body ama-free,” is the first and most important recommendation. Ama results from improper diet, poor digestion and inefficient elimination. To eliminate toxins from your diet, avoid stimulants such as alcohol, cigarettes and coffee. Stay away from fast food, junk food, leftovers and preservatives. Consume a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, grains, lentils, milk, lassi and fresh cheese such as panir and ricotta. These fresh and nourishing foods will not only keep your body healthier, but will also be easier on your digestive system. Learn more about reducing ama
2) Rest: Take it easy during your monthly cycle. Assist your body in purifying. The process will be smoother and more comfortable. Try to rest for at least one day. Turn inward, and try to avoid things that make you upset or worried. Do something you enjoy. Eat light, warm, preferably liquid foods that pacify Vata. Your digestive fire is weaker during this time, so try not to strain it with heavy foods. Avoid exercise more strenuous than a short walk. Skip your daily massage during the days of your period.
3) Planning & Balance: Prepare ahead. A balanced routine during the entire month will reward you with less discomfort. Follow a balanced daily routine, including going to bed before 10 p.m. and getting up at 6 a.m. Eat your meals around the same time every day.
4) Exercise: Regular moderate exercise improves circulation and metabolism, which are essential for the purification process. Practice deep and easy breathing for increased vitality.
6) Digestion: Pay attention to your elimination. If you don’t have a bowel movement every day, include cooked prunes and figs in your diet. Cook them with a stewed apple every morning. Consume more fresh papaya, pomegranate and pineapple to balance hormones and open up the channels of the physiology. Reduce eggplant, bananas, bell peppers and tomatoes in your diet, because they are considered harder to digest and can cause ama build-up.
7) Ayurvedic herbals: Take advantage of the power of Ayurvedic herbals. Consider taking Smooth Cycle tablets every day for hormonal balance and a more comfortable period. Drink Smooth Cycle Tea all through the month to balance hormones and emotions and for support during menstruation. Take Genitrac tablets daily — they help cleanse and support the genitourinary tract.
To aid elimination and unblock the channels of Apana Vata, take Organic Digest Tone (Triphala Plus) for at least three days prior to your resting cycle. If you experience anger or mood swings, the Blissful Joy tablets can help. If you are under a lot of mental stress, or your resistance to stress is low, take Worry Free tablets and Worry Free Tea regularly.
Use the following spice mix when you cook to balance your cycle. Mix 6 parts fennel, 1 part black cumin, 1 part cumin, 6 parts coriander, 1 part turmeric and 1 part black pepper. Sauté the mix in ghee and add it to your meals. Also, to support regular elimination and the daily overnight detox, start including Organic Digest Tone (Triphala Plus) in your daily routine.
Reprinted with permission MAPI