Say Goodbye to Back Pain
Date Posted:24 May 2012
What’s causing your back or joint pain?
Back pain is a general term characterised by a constant ache or sharp pain over any area of the back, most commonly the lower region which becomes worse with repetitive bending, turning or twisting. It can be difficult to isolate the reason for back pain or joint pain and it can be very painful.
Maharishi Ayurveda utilises a deep understanding of what causes back and joint pain along with diet, herbals and special external oils to provide a remedial approach that really works. As you read on consider what sort of joint or back pain you are prone to and what you can do about it. Then see the joint health tips below.
Ayurveda identifies three major types of back or joint problems and tailors remedies accordingly.
Vata Joint and Back Pain
This is associated with poorly nourished joints or low bone density and overall weakness in the joints. Because the bone is not getting the nourishment it needs, it starts to degenerate. This gives rise to stiffness, aches and pains, low bone density or calcification, osteoarthritis and rheumatism, which can be worse when the weather is cold and changeable during Autumn and Winter seasons. Discomfort can be changeable; sometimes there and sometimes not. Herbals recommended:
- Flexcel is designed to support healthy joint function and detoxification.
- If discomfort is long term or very acute also take Joint and Muscle Ease and use Joint Soothe II Oil for external application. This is an amazing oil!
- When bone density support is required: Calcium Absorb is recommended to help calcium uptake along with Flexcel.
- Daily Oil massage with Vata Massage Oil is a helpful preventative.
Kapha Joint and Back Pain
The second kind is associated with a toxic overload in the joints, and is the result of too many toxins in the body. As ama (the sticky, toxic waste-product of incomplete digestion) accumulates in the joint, it first creates stiffness and heaviness. If it stays there for a long time, the joint can become swollen and uncomfortable. Damp, cold weather can aggravate this type of joint problem. Herbals recommended:
- Joint Assist helps to scrape out ‘ama or impurites’ from the joints and clients have given good reports on its effectiveness.
- Take Digest Tone to reduce the buildup of ‘ama’ that would otherwise lodge in the joints causing discomfort. Take 1 tablet 3 times a day before main meals.
- Use Ayurveda Balm a fast-acting herbal balm for relief of congestion, joint and muscle discomfort. For more chronic or acute conditions use Joint Soothe II Oil for external application. It is very effective.
- Kapha related back pain benefits greatly from yoga postures and gentle exercise.
Pitta Joint and Back Pain
The third kind is associated with inflammation, redness or heat in the joints. This is the result of an aggravation of heat and toxicity in the blood, muscles and joints giving rise to inflammation, such as in Gout or Rheumatoid Arthritis. Hot Summer weather, hot food and drinks, alcohol, caffeine and stress, conflict or anger from deadlines and a driven lifestyle aggravate this type of joint problem. Herbals recommended:
- Inflam Protect and Joint and Muscle Ease to supports health and comfort of joints and muscles. It helps to cleanse and soothe while supporting the nervous system and endocrine system also.
- Full body massage with Pitta Massage Oil which contains cooling and soothing aroma oils to reduce inflammation.
- To help reduce inflammation avoid stimulants such as caffeine and alcohol, spicy and acidic foods, fried foods and red meats or smoked foods. Favour sweet fruits, wholegrains, leafy greens and be sure to eat at regular meal times.
The miracle of Joint Soothe II Oil
Joint Soothe II OIl is a penetrating oil prepared with over 79 Ayurvedic herbs. Massaging with it improves circulation which is essential for lubricating the joints, eliminating impurities and delivering vital nutrients to the joints. It is excellent for Vata and Kapha joint and back pain.
NOTE For external use only. For best results use in conjunction with Joint Assist tablets
- Mahanarayana oil is praised in the classical Ayurvedic texts. It consists of 56 herbs that are processed with milk and sesame oil on a low fire for many hours. This lengthy process is important to retain the potency and intelligence within the herbs. Massaging with Mahanarayana oil helps improve circulation around the joints.
- Vishagarabh oil - During a massage it quickly penetrates the many layers of the skin and heats the channels of circulation where it is applied. Improved circulation helps eliminate accumulated toxins. It also aids normal lubrication of the joints.
Joint Health Tips
- Eat sweet, juicy fruits daily.
- Adjust your diet to reduce raw foods, including salads.
- Reduce heavy foods such as dairy products and meat—they can contribute to a buildup of toxins around the joints.
- Use ginger and cumin when you cook—they stimulate the metabolism for healthy joints.
- Don’t skip meals.
- Avoid hot, spicy foods and hot drinks.
- Eat stewed apples cooked with cloves in early morning.
Back pain is often due to mental stress and tension so having some relaxation time is very important.
- Schedule regular breaks from sitting at a desk or computer.
- Even a short walk around the office can help ease stiffness in the back.
- Although a mental technique, Transcendental Meditation gives the body very deep relaxation and can reduce tension and pain in the back.