Your Vata Gentle Detox
Date Posted:28 August 2012
Recommended duration: 7-15 days
Welcome to the Vata gentle detox. Just as nature has rhythms, so too our body follows set cleansing cycles. Working with these cycles helps us maintain health and can prevent the seasonal coughs, colds, flus and allergies that come when the body is in need of cleansing.
Between each season the body naturally likes to cleanse or detox any impurities (ama) that may have arisen through the previous season. Ama is the product of incomplete digestion - it represents a sticky toxic matter that can clog the channels of your body that carry nutrients to the cells and waste out of the body.
We like to think of the seasonal cleanses as being like health insurance. The mid season cleanses are designed to flush out the seasonal build up of impurities to help maintain a high level of wellbeing and life enjoyment.
If you tend to experience constipation or bowel elimination less than daily or have a slim physique with normal bowel motion then the Vata Spring Cleanse is recommended for you.
Vata Gentle Detox
- Take 2-4 tablets of Herbal Cleanse before going to bed each night to cleanse the bowel.
- Take 2 tablets of Elim Tox morning and evening to cleanse the liver, blood, sweat glands and the elimination system.
- Take 2 tablets of Genitrac morning and evening to purify the urinary tract and assist the removal of toxins.
- Apply 1-2 drops of MP 16 oil in each nostril after shower or bath in the morning and around 5pm.
Note: If you take Amrit Kalash you can cut your dosage in half during the detox programme. Also, it is better not to combine the products Elim Tox with Bio Immune or Radiant Skin because these formulations have overlapping actions and benefits.
- Eat at the same time every day so your digestion can "fire up" for the meal.
- Eat your main meal at noon and lighter meals at breakfast and dinner.
- Eat while sitting down in a settled atmosphere; paying attention to the food when you eat (no TV, no phones, no reading).
- Engage in pleasant conversation with friends or family (no business meetings or emotional discussions).
- Eat only when hungry – that is when the previous meal has been fully digested. If you are not hungry sip your detox drinks below and wait until hunger is felt before eating.
- Sit quietly for a minute at the beginning of the meal (saying grace before meals is one way to do this), and wait for a couple of minutes after eating before leaving the table.This gives your digestion a settled start.
- Eat to only 3/4 of your capacity (equivalent to 2 of your hand fulls cupped per main meal).
- Aim to be hungry at regular intervals and do not fast or skip meals.
Hydration – Flush the toxins out
- Sip Vata Tea or the following detox tea every 30 minutes from rising to 6pm. Aim to drink a total of 2 litres for women and 3 litres for men each day.
- Detoxifying Tea Boil 2.5 litres of water in the morning for 10 minutes.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of whole fennel seeds to the water and let steep for ten minutes with the lid on.
- Strain out the spices and pour the water into a thermos flask.
- Sip throughout the day every 30 minutes. Make a new batch of tea every morning.
Foods to Favour
- Choose foods that are free of pesticides or preservatives and favour organic where you can. Fresh is always best and avoid reheating foods and canned foods.
- Breakfast: Eat cooked prunes and figs at breakfast along with a stewed apple or pear.
- In general, most sweet juicy fruits are excellent cleansers and great for a mid morning or afternoon snack along with a small palmful of nuts if hungry.
- Vegetables: Eat lots of cooked leafy greens. Chop the greens and cook them with Vata Seasonal Churna for best results. Favour Vata pacifying foods>>
- Grains: Light yet nutritious whole grains such as quinoa, barley, amaranth and small helpings of rice are recommended. Kanji, made by boiling rice with lots of water is an excellent hot beverage and helpful for flushing toxins out of the body through the urine.
- Spices: Ginger, turmeric, coriander, fennel and fenugreek help open up the channels of the body and support the flushing of toxins via the skin, urinary tract, colon and liver. Add spices to soups and dhals as they cook, or sauté the spices in a little clarified butter and add to dishes when the cooking process is completed.
- Avoid processed foods or foods with added salt, sugar or refined flours.
- You may need more sleep while detoxifying. Aim to be in bed before 10 p.m. and get up before 6 a.m. to aid the body's natural purification processes.
- Exercise each day but avoid strenuous exercise or overdoing it. Gentle exercise, such as walking or yoga support detoxification by improving digestion and elimination.
- Give yourself an invigorating self massage daily followed with a warm bath or shower. A self massage loosens deeply-embedded impurities, allowing them to flow into the digestive tract, from where they can be easily eliminated through the bowel. The Vata Massage Oil is formulated to penetrate the surface skin to reach the deeper layers and tissues.
After the cleanse… nourish
When the channels have been cleansed they are ready to be nourished with strengthening herbs or tonics.