|Just as nature has rhythms so to our body follows set cleansing cycles. Working with these cycles helps us maintain health and can help us to restore health too.
Between each season the body naturally likes to cleanse or detox any impurities (ama) that may have arisen in the previous season. Ama is the product of incomplete digestion - it represents sticky toxic matter that can clog the channels of your body that carry nutrients to the cells and waste out of the body.
We like to think of the seasonal cleanses as being like health insurance. The mid season cleanses are designed to flush out the seasonal build up of impurities to help maintain a high level of wellbeing and life enjoyment.
- If you tend to experience constipation or bowel elimination less than daily then the following Vata Cleanse is recommended for you.
- Taking 2-4 tablets of Herbal Cleanse before going to bed each night will cleanse the bowel. If you have a history of constipation also take 2 tablets of Digest Tone with the Herbal Cleanse prior bed.
- Taking 2 tablets of Elim-Tox or Elim-Tox-O morning and evening will cleanse the liver, blood, sweat glands and the elimination system.
- Taking 2 tablets of Genitrac morning and evening will purify the urinary tract and assist the removal of toxins
- Apply 1-2 drops of Herbal Nasal Oil oil up each nostril after shower or bath in the morning and around 5pm.
Note: If you take Amrit Kalash, you can cut your dosage in half when on the cleansing programme. Also, it is better not to combine Elim-Tox with Bio-Immune or Radiant Skin because these formulations have overlapping actions and benefits.
- You may need more sleep while detoxifying.
Aim to be in bed before 10 p.m. and get up before 6 a.m. to aid the body's natural purification processes.
- Exercise each day but avoid strenuous exercise or overdoing it.
Gentle exercise, such as walking, 6-12 cycles of Sun Salutation or yoga support detoxification by improving digestion and elimination.
- Give yourself an invigorating self-massage daily followed with a warm bath or shower.
A Self-Massage loosens deeply embedded impurities, allowing them to flow into the digestive tract, from where they can be easily eliminated through the bowel. The Vata Massage Oil is formulated to penetrate the surface skin to reach the deeper layers and tissues.
- Take the following drink on an empty stomach upon rising.
Drink one-half cup aloe vera juice (not the gel, which is much stronger and not whole-leaf aloe, which is not recommended by Ayurveda). Follow your morning drink with a baked or stewed apple or pear with 8 prunes:
Put the whole apple or pear in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool before eating.
Follow your apple or pear with eight prunes that have been soaked overnight.
To stew, simmer one sliced apple or pear in two cups of water with three whole cloves and 8 prunes for about thirty minutes or until soft. Remove from heat and allow cooling before eating.
If you are still hungry, complete your breakfast with one to two cups of hot, cooked whole-grain cereal, seasoned with cinnamon or cardamom.
Flush out the toxins – sip Vata tea or the following de-tox tea every 30-60 minutes from rising until 6 pm. Aim to drink a total of 2L for women and 3L men each day.
Boil 2.5 L of water in the morning for 10 minutes.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon. whole coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel to the water and let steep for ten minutes with the lid on.
- Strain out the spices and pour the water into a thermos.
- Sip throughout the day every 30 minutes. Make a new batch of tea every morning.
- Favour a Light Vata Diet>>
- Eat your meals and snacks at the same time every day so your digestion can "fire up" for the meal.
- Avoid fasting or skipping meals.
- Sit quietly for a minute at the beginning of the meal (saying grace before meals is one way to do this). This alerts your body that food is on its way and gives your digestion a settled start.
- Eat to only 3/4 of your capacity - equivalent to 2 of your hands cupped per main meal and one hand cupped for a snack. This leaves room for the digestive process to occur.
- Eat your main meal at lunchtime with smaller evening meals.
- Eat while sitting with full attention, in a settled atmosphere - no TV, no phones, no ipads, tablets, computers or reading. Be fully aware of the taste, smell and quality of your meal as this aids full and complete digestion.
- Engage in pleasant conversation with friends or family (no business meetings or emotional discussions).
- Avoid or greatly reduce caffeinated drinks and alcohol during the cleanse.
- Avoid processed foods or foods with added salt, sugar or refined flours.
- Eat lots of cooked leafy greens. Chop the greens and cook them with Vata Seasonal Churna for best results.
After the cleanse … Nourish
When the channels have been gently cleansed they are ready to be nourished with strengthening herbs or tonics.
- To support digestion take Digest Plus 2 tablets after breakfast and dinner. To support regular elimination take 1-2 tablets of Digest Tone prior evening meal and 2 tablets prior bed time.
The Get Balance Team
Everyday herbals for Vatas