Happy summer days…
Author: Maharishi Ayurveda Date Posted:22 January 2017
Ah, the joy of summer when the chill of winter has passed and the intense heat of summer is not yet with us. The boundless blue sky and sparklling waters with the vibrancy of nature reflected on all sides. The freedom and joy experienced on such days seems to be reflected back wherever I look. A happy smile rests easily on such days.
But as the heat of summer increases do you find your serenity and calm begins to waver? Do you notice that people’s behaviour can seem more iritating and in some cases even inflammatory? Should the weather become irregular with a mix of storms and bright sunshine, pressure increases even further. Have they changed or is it me? What is happening? You may wonder.
Ayurveda has some good insight to share. As the heat outside increases, so too our internal heat increases. Thus we enjoy wearing lighter clothes and may sweat more too. This internal heat is further increased or decreased based on our food and lifestyle choices. Taking heating foods such as chillies, vinegar, sour foods, spicy foods, very salty foods or deep fried foods can be like kerosene to a fire when heat is increased within.
Key signs of imbalance include
- Blood shot eyes and poor vision
- Skin rashes and acne
- A demanding perfectionist with workaholic tendencies
- Over-supply of stomach acid
- Early greying and balding
- Fits of anger, impatience and temper
How does imbalance come about?
If you are experiencing some discomfort, there is usually a precipitating cause – a pattern of behaviour that has thrown Pitta dosha out of balance. The typical patterns that cause Pitta imbalance are
- Under stress and feeling angry, frustrated and resentful
- You place excessive demands on yourself and others, live under constant pressure from deadlines, and cannot bear to waste time.
- Eating too much hot, spicy, salty, oily or fried foods recently.
- Your diet contains too much sour or fermented products such as cheese, vinegar, sour cream, coffee and alcoholic beverages.
- You have been exposed to impure food and water.
- The weather is hot and humid (summer weather)
Fortunately there are some time-tested guidelines for maintaining balance of Pitta during the summer season. See which ones you naturally choose during summer and which ones you may like to add to your daily routine.
- Adopt a regular daily routine of sleeping by 10pm and be sure to wind down from 7pm onwards. Leave the computer and phone out of the bedroom and treat the bedroom as a sleep and relaxtion zone.
- Always eat when hungry. Aim to eat your three main meals at a regular time.
- Start the morning with quiet-time or meditation to promote inner stillness.
- Have an oil massage using organic Pitta Massage Oil or coconut oil prior the morning shower.
- Choose Pitta balancing foods and drinks
- Adopt moderation in all areas of your life.
- Take the following helpful herbals regularly:
Smooth Emotions Take 1-2 tablets prior morning and evening meals
Aci Balance Take 1 tablet after meals 3 times a day
Deep Rest Take 2 tablets at bedtime to reduce a tendency to wake in the night.
Drink Pitta Tea Organic through the day
Use Organic Pitta spice mixture on lunch and evening meals to ensure your food contains all the key tastes that settle Pitta.
Lastly, enjoy your day and allow the medicine of laughter to soothe you when the days are hot.
Wishing you the bliss of balance