Excellence of tissue formation
Author: Linda Sinden Date Posted:24 September 2019
How close are you to the following Ayurvedic definition for excellence of tissue formation as a definition of wellbeing?
- If 10 is excellent tissue formation as defined below, and 0 is not at all, where would you fall in the range between 0-10?
"Individuals possessed of the excellence of all the Dhatus (tissues) are endowed with great strength and happiness; ability to resist difficulties; self-confidence in all enterprises; virtuous acts; a firm and well-built body; correct gait; a resonant melodious, and big voice; happiness, power, wealth, enjoyment, honour, slowness of the ageing process, resistance to disease, and a large number of long-lived children with similar qualities."
Charaka Samhita, Vimanasthana, 8.111
Where do you place yourself?
A lady in her 60’s dropped in to buy some Manjistha powder today and we had a chat. She would have been 2-3 on the scale above.
Fluid retention, lymph congestion and artery issues
Adrienne had been using Manjistha a year or so ago as she had a history of fluid and lymph congestion with low appetite, feeling heavy after eating, slow thyroid, high cholesterol, weight gain along with constipation. She had noticed we had Manjistha powder available in our online store.
Her symptoms had returned. Also her doctor had warned Adrienneto keep her cholesterol levels in the low healthy range as her cholesterol in the arteries was reactive and could pose a problem longer term. As she already had a small tear in her arteries she wanted to be proactive and treat the root cause.
What was happening?
Adrienne had a serious problem with her digestive system and it had been causing problems with the formation of her lymph tissue and nutrient fluids - Rasa, and later tissue formation at the level of muscle formation - Mamsa and her fat and hormone tissues - Meda. From another perspective we would have said that her Kapha dosha was out of balance too.
We discussed that the first step was to get Adrienne’s digestive system functioning better and thereby support healthy formation of her tissues, starting with the first tissue layer of Rasa.
The function of normal Rasa is to nourish. Rasa is the clear, plasma portion of your blood that carries nutrients absorbed from your intestines to the rest of your body. When Rasa is in balance one has
- Beautiful, soft skin
- Soft and wavy hair
- Good uniform complexion
- Strength and stamina
- Clear perception
- Loving and trusting
- Health of veins
- Health of lymph system
- Regular menstruation
- Lack of respiratory congestion
- Lack of fluid retention
There is a special connection between Rasa and the skin, mucous membranes, breasts, uterus, and ovaries. Rasa is most easily disturbed by factors that affect the overall strength of your digestion.
What to do
As Adrienne’s imbalances had been longer standing and there were signs of improper tissue formation at the deeper levels of Mamsa and Meda, I suggested some additional herb formulations and lifestyle guidance were required. Here is what I recommended:
- In the first instance I concurred that taking ½ to 1 tsp of Manjistha powder in warm water after meals twice a day was a good idea. As her digestive power was sluggish I suggested she could take the Manjistha powder with a little ginger water or Kapha tea to enhance effectiveness. We discussed how Manjistha helps the body address lymph congestion, fluid retention and is a great detox and blood cleanser.
- I explained that as her digestive system was under par, impurities had accumulated due to partial or incomplete digestion. In line with this we discussed the benefits of having meat, eggs, cheese only at lunchtime and taking a light evening meal by 6.30pm. It made sense to her when I explained that our digestive fire was strongest at lunchtime much like the sun which shines brightest at midday. We talked about how to have this suggestion work in with the needs of her family.
- To help with digestion and to support the reduction of impurities I recommended Adrienne boil 2 litres of hot water with 2-4 slices of ginger root for 20 minutes in the morning.Then to sip the fluids regularly through the day - about every 30 minutes.
- In addition I suggested it would be helpful to take 2 tablets of Triphala Guggulu (to support healthy fat metabolism, healthy thyroid function and a healthy weight) with the Manjistha after meals, 2 tablets of Digest Tone before the evening meal and 2 tablets of Digest Tone at bedtime to support with cleansing and to help tone the digestive system in order to help nourish her body.
- Lastly I suggested she have a walk in the morning, either first thing upon waking or sometime before 10am. She naturally got it that she needed to be physically active early in the day as she felt better when she was. I explained the benefits of being active during Kapha time of the morning which is just before sunrise and for about 4 hours afterwards.
- Due to the pressure in her cardiovascular system I also suggested she consider taking Cardio Support 1-2 tablets prior meals twice a day.
If you are experiencing similar issues consider following the regimen above for 3 months and notice how much better you will feel. As your digestive system comes back on line healthy tissue formations is a natural result.
Wishing you the bliss of balance.