Tips for Hay Fever Support
Author: Linda Sinden Date Posted:16 October 2021
Sinus congestion, watery eyes, catarrh, phlegm, a cold, coughing (with mucus) and sneezing at Spring time may be a sign of hypersensitivity to airborne tree pollen - commonly called Hay Fever. Ayurveda explains these symptoms indicate an underlying Kapha imbalance. Other symptoms can include lack of appetite and heaviness after eating, often with sleepiness and dullness.
If this sounds like you or a loved one then you know how irritating this time of the year can be. Ayurveda can help.
The root cause is imbalanced Agni or digestive fire. Here’s what to do...
- Take Agni Balance and Congest Assist before main meals and Tulsi after main meals 3 times a day.
- Optional (highly recommended): Take Digest Tone 1 hour before bed.
- Avoid sleeping-in or sleeping during the day.
- Have a brisk walk as the sun is rising or before 10am daily for 30 minutes or more.
- Favour dietary recommendations below.
About Agni Balance
Take 1⁄2 tsp of Agni Balance with a little warm water 15-30 minutes before main meals - 3 times a day.
Agni balance helps to improve digestion, burn toxins and dry up Kapha type of phlegm. It has a cleansing, digestive and stimulating effect. The key herbals of long pepper, black pepper, ginger and cloves also help to increase bioavailability by supporting rapid absorption from the gastrointestinal tract. I call it digestive “gun-powder” and love how effective it is for helping restore digestive power.
About Congest Assist
● 1⁄4 tablet mixed with honey for 3-5 years 15-30 minutes before breakfast, lunch and evening meals.
● 1⁄2 tablet mixed with honey for 6 - 11 years of age before breakfast, lunch and evening meals.
● 1-2 tablets up to 4 times a day for 12+ years including the elderly with a little warm water.
This preparation includes choicest “Kapha-Vata” balancing herbs to help with congestion in different sites of the respiratory tract. As Vata guides the transition from winter to spring, Congest Assist is helpful as it targets and helps restore balance to both Kapha and Vata.
Take 1-2 tablets 20-30 minutes after meals with a little warm water.
Commonly known as Holy Basil or Tulsi, this herb is traditionally revered as the “Incomparable One”. Traditionally used to help purity and cleanse the respiratory tract of toxins, to provide digestive support and to enhance immune support, it is a must when addressing Spring Hayfever.
About Digest Tone
Take 1-3 tablets 1 hour before bed with a little warm water.
One of our most popular formulas, Digest Tone ...
- Is a companion formula to support all other herbals.
- Gives a simple, gentle daily cleanse and is a digestive system tonic.
- Improves assimilation.
- Supports heart health, mental clarity, youthfulness, sharper intellect.
- Enhances eyes, hair and vocal cords.
- Promotes long life and vitality.
- Provides up to 30% more triphala per bottle than other organic brands.
As Kapha is strongly balanced or imbalanced by dietary choices:
- Eat only when you are hungry and avoid eating after sunset.
- Take your main quantity of food at lunch when your digestive fire is strongest.
- Avoid cold and heavy foods like cheese, yogurt, milk, cream, wheat and red meat, as well as excess of sweet, sour and salty tastes.
- Favour bitter, spicy and astringent tastes and foods.
- Drink Kapha tea or teas made with cinnamon, cardamom, clove and ginger to support digestion and to help liquefy, dry and eliminate Kapha.
- Use small amounts of local honey which helps digest Kapha but also build your resilience to local pollen.
Wishing you and your family optimal ‘Satmya’ or tolerance of the changes Spring brings this year and always.
Linda Sinden and the Get Balance Team