Herbal Sleep Aids: The Natural Solution to Your Sleep Problems
Date Posted:12 April 2011
Waking up after a bad night's sleep is the worst way to start the day. It's difficult to bounce out of bed with a spring in your step when you feel unrefreshed, lethargic, irritable or anxious -- all common symptoms of a poor quality sleep. In Maharishi Ayurveda practices, sleep is a crucial factor for good health.
In Ayurveda the master coordinator between mind, body and the inner being is Ojas. Sleep strengthens Ojas, helping to enhance the body's immune and digestive systems and support a healthy mind. Sleep deprivation can contribute to serious health problems, such as obesity, high blood pressure and a weakened immune system. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take, combined with herbal sleep aids, to help yourself reach a state of perfect sleep.
Maharishi Ayurveda's Tips for Great & Effortless Sleep:
- Eat three balanced, nutritious meals at the same time every day: breakfast, a midday lunch and an early evening dinner. Avoid eating dinner after 8pm, to allow your food to digest before going to bed. If possible, make lunch your heaviest meal and eat a light dinner.
- Exercise regularly; there is plenty of research to suggest that moderate exercise a few times per week helps to improve sleep quality.
- Do your best to be in bed by 10pm; in Ayurveda this is known as the Kapha time of night, which is most conducive to settling the mind in preparation for sleep.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods and other stimulants as much as possible. Try a warm, milky drink as a relaxing alternative.
- Wear comfortable, breathable nightwear, such as organic cotton.
- Keep your bedroom dark and cool. If you do need a light, a dim night light is the best option.
- Consider treating yourself to a soothing hand, foot and neck massage before bedtime to help you relax.
- A warm bath with a few drops of soothing essential oil, such as lavender, may help you wind down. Avoid a stimulating shower or a very hot bath late at night.
Herbal sleep aids, when used in conjunction with the above methods, offer an all-natural alternative to prescribed medication to help achieve the sleep your body needs to function at its best.