A Happy Prostate
Date Posted:31 May 2012
Do you or someone close to you experience restricted urine flow or the sensation that the bladder is not completely empty after urinating? Some men experience a need to stop and start again several times when urinating. For some the need to urinate can also be urgent with burning sensations and pain in the abdomen, groin or lower back. What is happening?
After the age of 40, a decrease in testosterone levels can cause the prostate gland to enlarge, leading to obstruction in the flow of urine and increased potential for infection. Is there anything you can do to protect yourself or reduce symptoms? From an Ayurvedic perspective the answer is yes.
What is the Prostate?
These and other symptoms indicate that a little gland (about the size of a walnut) called the prostate is struggling. The prostate is a gland found only in men. It lies just below the bladder and surrounds the tube (urethra) that drains urine from the bladder. Its job is to secrete a milky fluid, which becomes part of the semen and nourishes the sperm.
The vast majority of men commonly experience prostate problems at some point in their life. For most men, these problems will not be serious. The following three conditions – benign prostatic hyperplasia, prostatitis and prostate cancer – are three of the most common prostate conditions.
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a normal, gradual enlargement of the prostate caused by hormonal effects. BPH affects about half of men aged over 60 and 80 percent of men aged over 80. Almost every man over 45 has some prostate enlargement, but symptoms are rarely noticed before the age of 60. BPH does not lead to cancer. Common symptoms are:
- Sensation of bladder not being completely empty after urinating.
- Having to urinate again in less than two hours after urinating.
- Needing to stop and starting again several times when urinating.
- Having a weak urinary stream.
- Needing to push or strain to begin urination.
- Having to get up in the night to urinate.
What to do?
3 Step Plan for Prostate Health
Here are three simple steps you can take to support prostate health
- Support a healthy prostate size and function by taking Prostate Protection (MA1595) along with Rejuvenation for Men (MA347m) 1 tablet of each twice a day 30 minutes prior breakfast and dinner. Prostate Protection is a blend of 18 herbs, minerals and fruits that help to improve the quantity and quality of reproductive fluid, boost immunity and enhance resistance to infection. Each tablet contains 20% of the recommended daily amount of zinc, a protective element for maintaining prostate health.
Rejuvenation for Men helps restore youthful vigour. It promotes cellular regeneration, which slows both biological and psychological aging. It is taken together with Prostate Protection to provide support and nourishment to the prostate.
- Support the nervous system with Stress Relief (MA 686) as prostate action is negatively impacted by nervous system stress.
- Have 3 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds a day. Add them to porridge, muesli or a smoothie for breakfast. Take them as a snack with a piece of fruit for morning or afternoon tea, or lightly roast and sprinkle over your vegetables at lunch or dinner.
Prostatitis is inflammation of the prostate gland, which is often caused by urinary tract infection. It usually affects younger men. Causes can include blockage or irritation of some of the ducts within the prostate gland, mechanical dysfunction or infection - bacterial or viral.
Symptoms to look out for are:
- Pain or burning sensation when urinating (dysuria)
- Difficulty urinating, such as dribbling or hesitant urination
- Frequent urination, particularly at night (nocturia)
- Urgent need to urinate
- Pain in the abdomen, groin or lower back
- Pain in the area between the scrotum and rectum (perineum)
- Pain or discomfort of the penis or testicles
- Painful orgasms (ejaculations)
- Flu-like symptoms (with bacterial prostatitis)
- Adopt the 3 Step Plan for Prostate Health above.
- As these symptoms indicate infection or inflammation reducing heat in the body is key. Replace Stress Relief with Inflam Protect (MA697) 1-2 tabs twice a day 30 minutes before meals to support the body's natural mechanisms that respond to inflammation.
- Reduce spicy, sour or salty food and drinks as they increase heat in the body and favour Pitta Pacifying dietary choices.
- Ensure you drink 3 litres of water per day or herbal teas and avoid drinks containing caffeine or alcohol.
Prostate cancer is less common than BPH, and it usually develops gradually over time. In older men, prostate cancer is usually slow to develop and is enclosed within the prostate gland itself, so it is usually not life-threatening. When prostate cancer does occur in younger men, both diagnosis and treatment outcomes are improved the earlier it is brought to the doctor's attention.
Prostate cancer may not cause signs or symptoms in its early stages. Prostate cancer that is more advanced may cause signs and symptoms such as:
- Trouble urinating
- Decreased force in the stream of urine
- Blood in the urine
- Blood in the semen
- Swelling in the legs
- Discomfort in the pelvic area
- Bone pain
- Adopt the 3 Step Plan to Prostate Health above.
- Consider adding Amrit Kalash –Ambrosia (MA5) and Nectar (MA7) to your regimen. These synergistic products work together to provide an impressive range of antioxidant support and rejuvenative power .
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any signs or symptoms that cause you concern.
Please note This information is not meant to replace the advice of a physician. You should not rely on any information or suggestions here to replace a consultation with a qualified health professional regarding your health.