Getting good sleep, naturally
Author: Maharishi Ayurveda Date Posted:19 June 2017
Want a natural sleep aid?
Do you experience difficulty getting to sleep, where you toss and turn unable to fall asleep due to a busy mind? Or is your sleep light and restless?
If yes, then you are experiencing an imbalance of Vata dosha specifically Prana Vata.
Prana Vata enlivens your nervous system, senses, emotions and intellect.
- Imbalance is linked to worry, anxiety, an over-active mind, sleep problems, neurological disorders, asthma, respiratory complaints, tension headaches
Do these symptoms sound familiar to you, a loved one, colleague or friend?
Sleep is one of the pillars of life and is fundamental to a great day. When this natural rhythm becomes imbalanced then it is time to take stock and do something about it. Long term lack of sleep is linked to some rather serious consequences.
Questions to ask yourself...
- Have I undergone a period of mental strain?
- Is my bedtime typically after 10pm?
- Do I go to bed at different times most nights?
- Is my diet lacking in oils?
- Do I use a computer for a number of hours most days?
- Do I use my computer after 8pm at night?
- Is my evening meal larger than my lunch meal?
- Do I bombard my senses until they feel overloaded?
- Do I feel quite stressed?
Here are some helpful herbals I use with clients to help re-establish balance when Prana Vata needs a helping hand:
- Worry Free after breakfast and evening meal
Take 2 tablets of this soothing and effective herbal which helps strengthen mental acuity while reducing worry and strain.
- Stress Relief prior evening meal
Take 2 tablets prior the evening meal to support the settling of Vata within you as the day starts to wind down.
- Slumber Time Tea and Stress Relief prior Bedtime
Recently when I gave Slumber Time Tea to a guest who was visiting they later told me their eyes started to feel heavy and they started to yawn within 10 minutes. Paired with 2-4 tablets of Stress Relief (an adaptogen which helps regulate the release of stress hormones) I find this sleep solution works very well at bedtime.
In addition consider having a Vata balancing evening meal – see Vata Balancing Diet
If your symptoms are longer term also see how to adopt a Vata Balancing Lifestyle
Take the powerful herbal regimen along with a warm Vata pacifying evening meal for one to three months to help restore balance to Prana Vata. Enjoy a deep rejuvenating sleep that leaves you feeling smooth and ready to enjoy your day when you wake.
Wishing you the bliss of balance…