Author: Maharishi Ayurveda Date Posted:16 October 2017
Has spring fever crept into your weekend with a desire to spring clean and put things in order? Yes, you may say with surprise… how did you know?
The longer days of spring time signal something deep within us. Sluggishness of mind or body while tolerated during winter, can begin to irritate.
Spring urges us to renew ourselves in preparation for the activities of Summer. It is the time to put on our walking shoes, and follow the Energise Me Program below:
Energise Me Programme
- Be up with the birds as the sun rises and put on your walking shoes. If you prefer the gym, then first thing is ideal before your work day begins. Tip: Exercising with a buddy or friend is a great way to stay on track.
- Move it! Moderate intensity exercise (at a pace where you can continue conversation) will rev up your metabolism; aiding weight management and stimulating mental energy. Go for it and enjoy increased physical and mental energy throughout the whole day.
- To support energy and exercise stamina take 2-4 tablets of Amla Berry Plus first thing and 30 minutes prior evening meal. Also take 2 tablets of Fatigue Free 30 minutes after breakfast and evening meals.
- Make sure you avoid sleeping late (after sunrise). This is the time of the year, where sleeping after sunrise (except if you are a shift worker) will leave you feeling heavy, dull and even low in mood. To cope you may find yourself reaching for a coffee or 'quick fix' sweet food or drink. (They may give you a short term lift but will give you a loss, later in the day.)
- A key to early rising is use the 5 second technique: As soon as you wake or hear the alarm… start counting backwards from 5 to 0. On zero… take action by pulling back the covers and getting out of bed. Doing this keeps the prefrontal cortex engaged and helps to avoid the self doubt and sabotage that othewise robs us of our energy and vitality.
- Start your day with a drink of hot water with the juice of ½ a lemon or 1 lime. You may like to add ½ tsp of ginger powder and ¼ tsp of tumeric for a morning wake up!
- Drink sips of warm to hot water every 15-30 minutes through the day. If you can boil the water for 10 minutes it’s even better. Add ginger root, or a Kapha teabag or Be Trim teabag to the boiled water and sip regularly.
- Have your main quantity of food at lunch with a smaller evening meal by 6 - 7pm. Avoid cheese, yogurt, meat, eggs, fish or seafood after 2pm. Try a lentil, bean or chickpea dish with a bowl of sauted greens and seasonal vegetables. Use ginger, cumin, tumeric and spices you like to power up your evening meal.
- Be energised by clearing clutter at home or work. A clear physical space engenders a clear mental space. Check it out and see for yourself by spring cleaning your environment.
- On the weekends aim to do something new or outside of your normal activites. Break the routine, be adventureous and get outside into nature. Let spring fever show you how!
- If you have put on 'a little' over winter, now is the time to loose it! Consider following the Kapha Dietary Guidelines along with the recommendations above. For herbal support take Be Trim 1 (normal appetite) or Be Trim 2 tablets (strong appetite) after meals with Digest Tone 1 tablet prior meals. Choose the Be Trim Tea option to sip every 15 - 30 minutes thorugh the day.
As the days get longer and warmer it is natural to want to be more active. So use the push nature provides to become a little more active while avoiding sleeping past sunrise or or day time sleep. Use more herbs and spices in your diet and look to try new things and to shake up your regular routines. It’s time for a change!
Wishing you the bliss of balance…
Linda Sinden and the Get Balance Team