Vata is the Naughty Boy
Author: Maharishi Ayurveda Date Posted:4 September 2017
Sleep tips for Vata
If you are Vata by nature or have a longer standing Vata imbalance then sleep disturbance or insomnia is likely to be something you experience. Here are some mind, body and behavioural tips to help you enjoy a great sleep. This topic was suggested by Dan in our recent questionnaire. Thanks Dan!
Tips to settle the Mind
Resolving tension prior to bed is key to drifting off to sleep easily when you lie down. Otherwise the tension starts to be released as you lie down. It is the tension being released that gives rise to mental restlessness, worries and other emotions that busy your mind, stopping the onset of sleep. The best way to reduce tension I have found is by doing Transcendental Meditation. Learn more
When you lie down in bed at night take up a comfortable position and let your mind move freely, just taking it as it comes - 80% of the value of sleep is gained just by resting easily, not minding in the period before falling asleep. You are in nature's hands. As you rest comfortably, sleep often comes quite naturally.
Regular meal times is key for keeping Vata happy. Favour Vata settling food and drinks. As Vata tends to create irregular digestion it is helpful to take a digestive aid like Herbal Digest 2 tablets prior meals and 2 tablets of Digest Tone at bedtime.
To aid sleep I suggest you take 2 tablets of Worry Free, 2 tablets of Stress Free Mind and a cup of Slumber Time Tea 15-30 minutes prior bed or a glass of warm (not hot) milk with raw sugar or honey, cardamom or ginger to taste. This combo is very effective in helping soothe Vata in the mind.
On cold nights it is best to keep your head and feet warm. Consider using a hot water bottle and wear a cotton night cap for extra warmth if you tend to feel the cold.
What you choose to do during the day can impact how calm and settled you are at bedtime. Here are some helpful behaviours to adopt:
- Be active in the fresh air daily for 20-30 minutes or more
- Keep your bedrooom as a sleep zone i.e. avoid reading, studying or watching TV in the bedroom
- Wind down in the evening with pleasant and relaxing activity. Read, listen to soft music or Ghandharva Veda music and a walk after the evening meal is helpful
- Avoid phone calls, texting and intense conversation an hour prior bedtime.
- Aroma therapy using Vata aroma oil in the bedroom before sleep is settling to the mind and nervous system and helps you enjoy restful sleep.
- Create a routine so that you go to bed at the same time every night. Aim to turn your light out by 9:30 PM.
- Lastly, massage your head and feet lightly with sesame, coconut oil or Vata massage oil before bed to help quieten the mind. Or give yourself a full body massage using light pressure only, followed by a warm bath before bed. Oh bliss!
Wishing you a settled Vata and a great sleep!