What’s for breakfast?
Author: Linda Sinden Date Posted:5 November 2018
At 10am this morning a colleague said to me I’m feeling faint… can’t focus and I really need something to eat! He had missed breakfast and was now really feeling it. Typically, James needs to eat a good breakfast as Pitta and Vata dosha are strong in his nature.
- When Pitta dosha is strong in one’s nature then the fire of digestion is strong and requires regular feeding at breakfast, lunch and the evening meal, or the person will get uncomfortable. Their metabolism burns up what they eat like a strong fire that consumes wood easily.
- If not fed regularly the fire of digestion moves upwards burning the roots of hair causing or contributing to early greying, baldness or in the extreme, alopecia - hair loss.
- If food is missed, then the increased fire can spread into the blood heating up the heart. This can influence behaviour and be expressed as a sharp comment, impatience, being sarcastic or critical. We are indeed a body-mind system. The best herbal for this is Pitta Rasayana, a highly favoured Pitta pacifying tonic.
- Physically, this abuse of digestion can contribute to an imbalance in digestion causing acid indigestion or a tendency for ulcers. Aci Balance is an excellent herbal to assist if you experience these symptoms.
Then another colleague Theresa talked about her son who she wished would eat breakfast, but he won’t. Each day he prepares his lunch box and takes it to work. Within 1-2 hours of work, he then feels like eating.
- Why? Because he doesn’t feel hungry until he gets to work. Morning tea is the time when he starts to feel hungry. This is often the case when Kapha dosha is strong in a person’s nature.
- From 6-10am is Kapha time of the day, when coldness or coolness, softness, oiliness, sweetness, stability or steadiness and stickiness predominate.
- The issue for a Kapha type first thing in the morning is to ignite agni or the fire in the body, with some herbals and some early morning exercise and/or Sun Salutation.
- Taking 1-2 tablets of Congest Assist can be very helpful along with a strong cup of Kapha Tea, followed by a brisk walk, jog, bike or run in the early morning sun.
This lead me to think about another friend who has a slight build and carries very little weight. She is fast moving and talks fast too. A great organiser, she is an absolute whizz at organising and handling small details. A real godsend when there is a detailed job that needs her natural abilities. Unless she consciously reminds herself to stop and eat breakfast it quite often won’t happen.
- Why? Because her digestive power is variable due to the changeable and cold qualities of Vata dosha. Vata dosha is strong in her nature.
- The light, airy qualities of Vata can become ungrounded if breakfast is delayed.
- Thinking about the word.. breakfast.. It literally explains why delaying breakfast is an issue for Vata types. Breakfast is when we break the 12-14 hour fast from the evening meal (6pm) to breakfast time (7am).
- If you are strong in Vata qualities or you have a Vata imbalance then starting your day with a warm breakfast within 1 hour of waking will be most beneficial for you.
- To wake up your digestion suggest you take a drink of lukewarm water with 1-2 tsp of honey and the juice of ½ lemon or 1 lime. Then take 1 tablet of Digest Plus about 15 minutes before a warm breakfast of porridge or muesli.
Breakfast is an important meal of the day for Vata and Pitta types and is often taken a little later for Kapha types, when their digestive systems have fully woken up.
Wishing you the bliss of balance