Why is my Digestive Strength so Important?
Author: Linda Sinden Date Posted:13 May 2021
There is an Ayurvedic saying “A person with strong digestion can make nectar out of poison while a person with weak digestion can turn nectar into poison.” This week our focus is to help you create or maintain a healthy digestive fire.
When your digestive fire called ‘agni’ is strong then food is digested well, nutrients nourish your cells fully, waste products are released efficiently and a vital essence called ojas is produced. Ayurvedic texts explain that ojas is the basis of one’s physical strength, immunity, clarity of perception, happiness, enlightenment and longevity.
What to do?
Along with including digestive stimulants such as mustard seeds, ginger, pepper and cumin in your meals we recommend you include a digestive aid during Autumn and Winter when digestive strength becomes variable. Which of the digestives below best suit your current symptoms?
If your digestive power is changeable, irregular or sluggish (Vata) consider taking Digest Plus (MA 154) 1-2 tablets 20-30 minutes after meals.
Digest Plus helps to:
- Regulate digestive power
- Balance appetite and stomach acid
- Reduce gas
- Support liver and pancreatic function
- Detox ama from the tissues
- Digest what is eaten after a heavy meal
- Promote digestion when eating after sunset
If your digestive power is slow, cold or sluggish or you feel heavy or lethargic after eating (Kapha) then you are likely to benefit from taking ⅓ to ½ tsp of Agni Balance in the first third of your meal. It can also be taken 20-30 minutes after a meal when the meal is sitting heavily in the stomach.
- Supports a healthy stomach, GI tract and upper respiratory tract
- Is a combination of three pungents known for their ability to help keep digestion balanced - long pepper, black pepper and ginger
- Includes cloves to support the release of digestive enzymes to help with indigestion
Too much acidity or fire (Pitta) in the stomach? Take 1 tablet of Aci Balance 20-30 minutes after meals.
- Helps balance excess acidity by promoting healthy digestive strength
- Supports overall digestion
- Assists the body's ability to preserve the purity and vitality of nutrients from foods
- Includes the rare white form of Turpeth which is both cleansing and balancing for digestion
- Includes clove, cardamom and ginger which enhance digestion and are effective at calming discomfort in the stomach
- Includes Amla to helps enhance digestion and balance Pitta-related imbalances
Take a moment to support your digestion in order to optimise your production of Ojas and thereby protect and support your immune strength and general wellbeing at this time of the year. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Wishing you the bliss of full and complete digestion,
Linda and the Get Balance Team