How To Reduce Embarrassing Gas & Odour
Date Posted:29 March 2015
It can be embarrassing and painful when gas arises and finds it’s way out either upwards or downwards! Gas bothers some people more than others and can be accompanied with cramping pain and a smelly odour.
Ayurveda explains that gas with cramping pain and odours arise when the digestion is weak. Along with the obvious cause of gulping air by talking with our mouth full, there are also other causes to be aware of. Read below to see which ones may be an issue for you:
Common causes and solutions
1: Drinking cold water especially when hungry and drinking too much.
- Sip room temperature water, warm or hot drinks and make a habit of eating rather than drinking when you are hungry.
2: Exercise too soon after eating, while still digesting food.
- Wait 2 hours after a main meal before exercising and take a digestive aid before and after eating. See below.
3: Forcing or restraining urge to go to the toilet.
- When the urge to go to the toilet comes, stop and follow the prompt of your body by going to the toilet straight away.
Cause 5: Forcing or restraining passing of flatulence.
- When the desire to pass gas arises let it come. If the pressure or frequency is more than usual or you think is higher than normal, take a digestive before and after meals. See helpful herbals below.
Cause 6: Forcing or restraining belching or sneezing
- When the gas moves upwards causing belching or when a sneeze comes this is the time to relax the body and go with the natural response of the body. Strong belching may indicate a greater build up of gas and a digestive aid before and after meals is recommended. If the belching produces an acid reflux then a herbal to soothe and protect will be very helpful. See helpful herbals below.
Cause 7:Overeating or eating heavy foods especially in the evening.
- Avoid overeating and avoid heavy foods such as meat, cheese, fried foods, oily or deep fried foods in the evening. Favour a lighter vegetarian style evening meal by 6-7pm.
Cause 8: Eating when not hungry
- When you reach for food check in by asking yourself: Am I hungry? If the answer is not a strong YES – then wait awhile until you are hungry. You may also like to ask yourself… what is it that I am really hungry for? Then address the real hunger by taking action on what it is that you really want. If you experience cravings then Be Trim Tea is excellent at reducing the cravings for sweet foods.
Cause 9: Constipation
- When the gas builds up slowing down the normal peristalsis of the intestines and bowel then constipation arises. Then you may not pass a bowel motion each day and attention to help you pass a daily bowel motion is highly recommended. Favour a Vata Pacifying diet with Vata tea, and take helpful herbals for constipation listed below.
Cause 10: Hemorrhoids
- Take Hemmorrhoids seriously and treat them. See helpful herbals below. A low fibre diets, lack of exercise, spicy and fried food are the main causes of hemmorrhoids. So exercise at a moderate intensity daily and favour a Pitta balancing diet>
Helpful Digestive Herbals
The following combination of herbals prior and after eating helps to fire up weak digestion and can help you reduce the frequency or intensity of gas, belching, bloating and discomfort.
- 15-30 minutes prior meals 3x daily take Digest Tone: 1 tablet. This helps to fire up the digestive fires and tones the whole digestive system.
- 15-30 minutes after meals 3x a day take Digest Plus 1 tablet. Where possible this can also be blended with buttermilk to make a tasty, satisfying and rich probiotic aid for normalizing intestines. This aids digestion after the meal and is great for reducing gas, bloating and belching.
- If belching produces acidity then Aci Balance will be more suitable after eating. Then take 1-2 tablets of Aci Balance after eating.
Helpful Herbals for Constipation
When the intestines become restricted and stool becomes dry then constipation can arise.
- Take the recommended digestives above and add 2-4 tablets of Digest Tone prior bed to support an easy bowel motion the next day.
Helpful Herbals for Hemorrhoids
- Hemorrhoids: Take 2 tablets of MA 690 - 15-30 minutes prior meals 3 x a day to help reduce swelling and bleeding.
- Blend 1 cup of buttermilk with 1 tablet of Digest Plus and have after meals 3 x a day.
Wishing you the bliss of a healthy and happy digestive system.
|Linda Sinden has been a practising Maharishi Ayurveda Consultant since 1990 and is a regular contributor to our weekly Insights. She has a practice in Auckland, New Zealand and also provides phone or Skype sessions for those who need assistance, but don’t have a consultant in their vicinity. Email: email@example.com Skype: Linda.Sinden Mobile: +64 212237525|
Wayne, Linda, Theresa and Louise
The Get Balance Team [associated-products]