Recovery after cold and flu
Date Posted:26 September 2012
How to restore strength and vitality
One of our clients asked us to write about how to restore vitality and strength after a cold or flu.
From an Ayurvedic perspective upper respiratory conditions begin in the stomach or digestive system. Digestive imbalance causes impurities to build in the upper respiratory channels (sinus, throat and lungs) keeping the immune system busy. This may then result in lack of efficiency in fighting off bugs and germs especially during seasonal changes or times of stress.
During seasonal changes the body releases impurities that have built up during the previous season. For example in spring - winter excesses melt into the channels of the body; and in autumn - summer excesses come home to roost. When we get into the habit of ice cream after the evening meal during summer we may not realise the effects of it until autumn or winter. Then unexpectedly we may experience more phlegm or find our immunity is not as robust as usual.
Add to the picture some long hours working or some unexpected stress which reroutes digestive power as digestion is considered non essential when survival is threatened. Are you getting the picture? What it amounts to is the digestive system can’t do what it is designed to do and our health suffers.
Ayurveda explains that the secret to both avoiding cold and flu and ensuring a full recovery is to look after your digestive fires so they can look after you!
What do we mean by digestive fires?
A quaint but effective analogy within Ayurveda is to see the stomach and duodenum as a fire which is responsible for cooking our food effectively.
When the digestive fire is too cold the food does not break down correctly, resulting in a gooey sticky mess consistent with a cold heavy digestion and increased phlegm.
If you find yourself feeling lethargic, groggy or tired after eating and experience a runny nose, cough or increased plegm your digestive system is under powered. A sluggish or cold digestion can eventually contribute to many symptoms of imbalance such as joint discomfort, diabetes, weight gain and high cholesterol and even depression or low mood state. It is important to keep your digestive fires burning brightly. See how below…
Support your digestive fire and cleanse the micro channels of impurities
- Take Digest Tone and Rejuvenation Plus prior breakfast lunch and dinner. If budget allows change Rejuvenation Plus for Amrit Kalash – see why at Step 5.
- Take Agni Balance 1/3 tsp just prior main meals with a little hot water or mix in with the first mouthfuls of your meal. If you have a tendency for constipation also take Digest Plus 1-2 tablets after meals.
- Sip Kapha Tea every 30 minutes for 14 days – aim to have 1.5 litres for woman and 2 litres for men.
- Use the very effective Herbal Nasal Oil after your shower in the morning and about 5pm. This is a fabulous preventative and is also effective at keeping the sinus passages clear day to day. It is also said to be helpful at reducing the likelihood of Alzheimer according to one of our Ayurvedic doctors as it helps to balance channels in the head.
Be sure to exercise for about 30 minutes most days. If just recovering pace it easily. A little exercise helps to dislodge phlegm as the body warms up and recovery is likely to be quicker. So just get started and enjoy the results!
Give yourself a vigorous body massage prior your shower in the morning using Kapha Massage Oil for 14 days. Then reduce to 2-3 times a week. This herbalised oil is very efficient at stimulating your metabolism as it contains some warming herbs and leaves the skin feeling great too.
Enjoy a light evening meal by 6pm and take more quantity of food and heavier foods such as fatty foods, cheeses, meat proteins and bread at lunch time when the digestive fire is strongest. Much like the sun our digestive fires build in the morning, are strongest at lunch and fade in the afternoon and evening. Working with the way nature made us is easy once you get into a routine and makes it easier to stay well.
Taking the digestives recommended in Step 1 protect against a buildup of impurities especially in the evening and breakfast, and also overtime strengthens your digestive fires too. In this sense it helps with both symptoms and root causes.
Keep your immunity strong with antioxidant support. Maharishi Amrit Kalash Ambrosia and Nectar are leaders in their field.
- Amrit Kalash Ambrosia Research shows Amrit Ambrosia to be up to 1,000 times more effective than Vitamins C and E. Especially good for the mind, brain and nervous system. Promotes vitality and inner strength. An all-natural blend of 13 traditional herbs.
- Amrit Kalash Nectar Enhances coordination of mental and physical functions. Supports balance between the heart and the brain and is a powerful antioxidant.
The Get Balance Team