Being ahead of the game
Author: Linda Sinden Date Posted:9 March 2019
No matter one’s age and stage feeling well resourced to meet the day when we wake and as we start our day, be it at home or in the office, really does make a difference. This I call being ahead of the game.
Maharishi Ayurveda has a question that identifies if you are ahead of the game.
- In the morning do you wake feeling rested, clear and alert? Thinking back over the last three months how would you answer this question: If 10 is Yes, I feel rested, clear and alert all the time when I wake in the morning, and 0 is No, I never feel rested clear and alert when I wake in the morning how would you score yourself between 0-10?
- If your answer fell in the 9-10 range then you are doing really well and congratulations! It is likely that you have a good life balance with adequate recharge and your sleep is sound and rejuvenating. Fantastic!
- If your answer fell in the 7-8 range then your life balance and recharge fell in the nearly balanced range indicating some timely adjustments now could make a big difference in how you will be in 6 months from now. See the recommendations below and see what you could do to make a change in your score.
- If your answer fell in the 4-7 range then your life balance and recharge strategies are sometimes working and sometimes not and overall it may be a bit of a struggle at times. Your score fell in the barely balanced range. See the recommendations below and choose 2-4 that suit you. Your everyday choices over time can help turn this around,. You may be surprised how quickly it can turn around.
- If your answer fell in the 0-3 range then your life balance and recharge strategies fell in the imbalance range, and you are likely to be suffering quite some discomfort. Over time, it is the small choices we make each day that can turn the tide in our favour. If you would be open to some ideas that may be of help, then read below and see what strikes you as do-able at the moment and start with that. Then when that is settled in, choose another step to do. As you build up the strategies below, you are likely to find your score of feeling rested, clear and alert when you wake starts to creep upwards. As that happens, your overall life enjoyment is likely to climb also. Now wouldn’t that be worth it!
Being Ahead Game Plan
Our body craves regularity. The first important step for being ahead of the game is to establish a regular daily routine. The most important part of a daily routine is the morning routine. A good morning routine will set you up for the day and has a flow-on effect into a good night's sleep.
- A great day starts with the time you go to bed the night before: Go to bed by 9-10pm (light out), wake by 6am and get straight up.
- Clean your teeth and scrape the tongue to cleanse impurities that may have accumulated on the tongue overnight. Then sit on the toilet for 5-10 minutes to allow a bowel motion to occur, naturally and easily. This is the ideal time of the day for elimination of waste from the processing of food that happens while you sleep, to occur. If your body is a little out of synch with nature, that’s okay, just sit there anyway and over time the body will adjust.
- Then have a drink of lukewarm water with a squeeze of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of honey. You may like to add a pinch or two of tumeric and ginger powder.
- Go for a walk or do some exercise you enjoy first thing, or greet the day with some sun salutations Comfortable exercise that warms you up to a light sweat is a great way to start the day. Research shows that your metabolism will increase it’s activity for up to 48 hours after a period of exercise. Plus you will sleep better too.
- Apply Pitta massage Oil (summer), Vata massage Oil (Autumn/Winter) or Kapha massage Oil (Spring) over the body prior your shower or bath. See how to give yourself a massage. It’s amazing how this simple self-care choice strengthens and nourishes both my body and my mind for the day ahead.
- Next, take a moment to start the day with stillness. I do this by meditating for 20 minutes using Transcendental Meditation a technique that I have used for 30+ years. It’s simple to do, enjoyable and sets me up for the day. Wouldn’t be without it, it’s a real game changer. Further info here New Zealand and Australia
- Consider taking Amrit Kalash Nectar 1 tablet and Amrit Kalash Ambrosia 1 tablet prior meditation or 30 minutes prior breakfast and prior your evening meal. These two herbals combined nourishe deep levels in the body and mind by strengthening cellular activity to support energy and vitality.
- Break the fast overnight with some freshly cooked apple or pear with raisins, pruines or figs. This light and tasty breakfast is like a mini cleanse which also serves to wake up the taste buds and provide energy to the brain to kick start the day. If you are a Kapha type, then that may be all you need for breakfast. If you are a Vata or Kapha type then when hungry take a bowl of warm cereal.
- Have your largest quantity of food for the day at lunchtime when digestion is at its prime. This is the best time to take heavier foods such as eggs, cheese, meat, fish or seafood. Sit for 5-10 minutes afterwards and then have a 10 minute stroll to aid digestion. If your digestion is slow, irregular or sluggish consider taking Herbal Digest prior lunch and Digest Plus after lunch.
- Take breaks during the day every 90 minutes or so. Stretch, walk a little, take a drink and connect if you work with others. Stay off the phone, avoid surfing and notice nature around you. This reset helps the body and mind to regroup and will protect your energy resources. Try it and see!
- How do you transition from work to home? Some like to take a walk, have a swim, do some exercise, yoga or tai chi. Some like to also add a 20 minute Transcendental Meditation pick me up. What works for you?
- Have a light evening meal (smaller in quantity than your lunch meal) by 6.30pm. Ideally we eat 3 hours before bedtime. Having a stroll after your evening meal is a great way to unwind after the day and also provides an opportunity to catch up. If that time of the day is filled with children and bedtime routine then your wind down will be a little later after they are off to bed and you can take a moment to regroup.
- If you have difficulty settling for sleep then consider taking Blissful Sleep.
- If you have difficulty waking in the night take Deep Rest.
- If your life is challenging and somewhat stressful consider taking 2 tablets of Stress Relief prior breakfast and 2 tablets also at bedtime.
- If you would like more energy take Rejuvenation Plus with Premium Amla Berry prior breakfast, lunch and evening meals.
Wishing you the bliss of balance!