Maharishi Ayurveda Approach to Respiratory Disorders
Author: Linda Sinden Date Posted:9 April 2018
When the airways become obstructed what do you usually experience?
- Restricted breathing
Although symptoms of respiratory imbalance often express themselves as excess mucus and congestion (typically a Kapha symptom of imbalance), the excess mucus is often an underlying reaction to excess dryness of Vata or the inflammation or heat caused by increased Pitta dosha.
During autumn (Vata time of the year) we often see an increase of respiratory distress when the weather turns cold and windy weather increases. This tendency becomes more increased when lifestyle factors such as smoking, excessive travel, stress and lack of rest compounds and increases dryness in our respiratory tissues. We then become more sensitive to outside pollutants such as pollen, dust, cigarette smoke and some chemicals.
The body in its infinite wisdom acts to protect itself by increasing moisture in the nasal passages and lungs to compensate for this dryness or to protect against the increased heat. If your not sure whether Vata or Pitta imbalance are behind your symptoms then pulse diagnosis with a Maharishi Ayurveda practitioner will be most helpful for you.
Action Plan for Restoring Respiratory Balance
Reduce toxins and improve digestion
Reducing the build up of impurities (ama) that come from improper diet, poor digestion or environmental pollutants is key. If you are saying to yourself... “but I make a point of eating wholesome foods” then consider Ayurveda explains that even nectar can become poison if digestion is poor. So here are some simple tips to help you restore digestive power and reduce ama:
- Exercise at a moderate pace for 30 minutes or more most days
- Sip warm water that has been boiled for 10-20 minutes every 15-30 minutes throughout the day.
For more cleansing results add ½ tsp of cumin, coriander and fennel to the water, or add a teabag of Sniffle Free Tea or Kapha Tea to the water prior boiling.
- Avoid eggs and bacon at breakfast and replace it with freshly stewed apple/pear with figs, prunes or dates. If hungry after 30 minutes have a bowl of warm cereal. Make lunch your main food of the day and avoid meat, cheese or yogurt after 2pm.
- Have a light and warm evening meal by 6.30pm eaten with hunger. Take 1-2 Digest Tone tablets prior the evening meal to reduce build up of impurities from improper digestion.
- Favour warm foods freshly prepared. Avoid leftovers, processed food, cold food and drinks.
- If your symptoms include more dryness then favour a Vata Pacifying Diet. Stay warm and keeping your head, neck and chest covered. Although a daily oil massage with warm sesame oil is great for immunity and settling Vata, stop it if you have a respiratory imbalance. Massage can push impurity deeper into the physiology.Start once again when your symptoms have gone.
- If you experience a cough or tickle in the throat then take Clear Throat 2-4 times a day and consider taking the products in the Sinus and Head Cold Pack. Use Herbal Nasal Oil 2-4 times a day to keep the sinuses moistened and protected.
- If your symptoms include a more productive cough or seriously blocked and runny nose then favour a Kapha Pacifying Diet and sprinkle Kapha Seasonal Churna over your lunch and evening meals.
Particularly avoid cheese, yogurt, chocolate and potatoes if there is congestion and be up prior sunrise to offset the heaviness of Kapha. Warming up with daily exercise is essential for you. Consider taking the herbals in the popular Sinus and Head Cold Pack to kick start recovery or to protect when you experience the first signs of congestion.
- If your symptoms include more heat then favour Pitta Pacifying diet and sprinkle Pitta Seasonal Churna over your lunch and evening meals. It is best to reduce oranges, pineapple, tomatoes and stimulants especially nicotine and alcohol. Herbal Nasal Oil, Sniffle Free Tea, Breathe Easy 1 and Flu Col Defence will be helpful for you.
A Maharishi Ayurveda inhalation preparation called Breathe Easy Essential Oil is made of camphor, eucalyptus, clove and fennel essential oils. It is very useful for clearing congestion from the airways.
There are also Maharishi Ayurveda preparations that promote healthy functioning of the bronchial channels, help to remove impurities from the respiratory tract, help to clear sinus congestion and naturally boost immunity. The herbs work by creating overall balance to the respiratory system.
This week take a look at Maharishi Ayurveda’s popular Sinus and Head Cold Pack with 20% savings
Wishing you the bliss of balance