This page will cover 5 topics that can help:
1. Understanding Kapha basics
2. Kapha qualities when balanced
3. Kapha symptoms when imbalanced
4. Lifestyle recommendations to balance Kapha
5. Herbal recommendations to balance Kapha
1. Understanding Kapha Basics:
In the body and mind, Kapha governs all functions to do with stability, structure and fluid balance.It provides us with strength, nourishment and stamina. Kapha is composed of earth and water and is made up of the following qualities; heavy, slow, dull, smooth, cold, stable, oily. If there is a Kapha imbalance there will be an excess of one or more of these qualities in our mind-body, therefore the way to bring balance is to increase the opposite of that quality. If there is excess heaviness in the body or mind then we would want to bring in some lightness such as through food and increasing our exercise.
2. Kapha Qualities when balanced:
- Larger build
- Strong stamina
- Detail orientated
- Good memory
- Emotionally stable
- Supportive, loyal
- Soft, smooth skin
- Deep sleeper
3. Kapha Symptoms when imbalanced:
- Excessive sleep
- Slow, sluggish digestion
- Resistant to change
- Excess mucus, congestion
- Greedy, attachment
- Hayfever/seasonal allergies
4. Lifestyle habits to balance Kapha:
The three main things to focus on when balancing Kapha is; stimulation, movement and cleansing, you can do this by incorporating more of the following lifestyle habits:
- Aim to be physically active for 30 minutes or more most days. It is good for you to feel your blood pumping and to warm your body up until it sweats. Include a range of cardiovascular and body resistance or weight training in your exercise routine.
- Avoid sleeping in past sunrise (6-7am) and napping during the day.
- Seek our variety in your life, try new things that challenge yourself.
- Avoid eating too much heavy, oily foods, especially processed food and takeaways.
- Only eat when you are hungry, it is best to skip a meal if you are not hungry and drink a warm herbal tea instead.
- Favour warm, spicy and bitter foods such as black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric,, legumes and eat plenty of vegetables (favour cooked vegetables over raw), add Kapha Churna to your meals to make them more pacifying to Kapha.
- Keep dinner light and eat ideally by 6:00pm - 6:30pm.
Extra Tip: Kaphas tend to hold onto things which can cause clutter around them, increasing kapha even more. Try regularly cleaning out or giving away things that you know you'll never use again to avoid the accumulation of clutter in your home, office, or car.
5. Herbal recommendations to balance Kapha:
Many people with a Kapha imbalance also experience feeling lethargic and sluggish, so a key way to balance Kapha is to add more vigor and stimulation from warming herbs. Here are some herbal that can help balance Kapha’s heaviness and coldness in the mind and body:
- To support a sluggish and heavy digestive system, take 2-4 tablets of Herbal Digest twice daily before meals to help promote a regular balanced appetite, balance food cravings and stimulate sluggish digestion. For additional support, take 2-4 tablets of Digest Tone 1 hr before bed to warm up your metabolism and reduce accumulation of mucus and weight gain.
- Take Be Trim tablets to support weight loss by helping to balance appetite & fat metabolism for those with a normal appetite who gain weight easily.
- Sip Kapha Tea or Be Trim Tea during the day to reduce sugar cravings, aid reduction of mucus and for maintenance of a healthy body weight.