How are your adrenals?
Author: Maharishi Ayurveda Date Posted:3 July 2017
What is Adrenal Fatigue?
Adrenal fatigue is a condition in which the adrenal glands have become exhausted from an acute or constant demand upon them. The adrenal glands normal functioning is to respond and deal with stress, manufacturing and secreting hormones such as cortisol, DHEA, noradrenaline and adrenaline. When we are exposed to an overload of stress long-term, either emotional (work stress, divorce, a death of a loved one, constant financial stress) or physical (chronic illness, over-exercising, alcohol or substance abuse, sleep deprivation) then our adrenal glands may not be able to keep up with the constant pressure.
Some people find that the stress has an effect on them over the long-term, they become tired and unable to deal with stress gradually. Others however, may have a sudden change in health from one day to the next; a more sudden‘break-down’ in health.
Any predisposing factors?
Do you have any of the following predisposing factors? Identifying these can help to pinpoint key causative factors for you.
- Have you experienced long periods of stress, or one or more stressful events that have affected your well being?
- Do you typically drive yourself hard, even to exhaustion in achieving your goals or completing your tasks?
- Have you overworked with little play or relaxation for extended periods?
- Do you tend to gain weight, especially around the middle like a spare tyre?
- Have you had a history of severe or recurrent respiratory infections?
- Do you suffer from post traumatic stress disorder, diabetes, anorexia or one or more chronic illness or disease?
- Have you taken long term or intense steroid therapy (cortico-steroids)?
- Do you have a history of alcoholism or drug abuse?
- Do you have environmental sensitivities?
- Are you often tired at 9:00-10:00pm, but resist going to bed?
- Do you often do your best work late at night (or early in the morning)?
- If you don’t go to bed by 11:00pm, do you notice a second burst of energy around 11:00 PM, often lasting until 1:00-2:00 am?
If you said yes to one or more of the above predisposing factors for adrenal fatigue it is likely that you will be experiencing one or more of the following key signs and symptoms of adrenal fatigue.
Which key signs do you experience?
- Has your ability to handle stress and pressure decreased?
- Are you less productive at work?
- Is your cognitive ability decreased so you don’t think as clearly as you use too?
- Is your thinking confused when hurried or under pressure?
- Do you tend to avoid emotional situations?
- When under pressure do you experience indigestion?
- Do you have many unexplained fears or anxieties?
- Do you need to lie down or rest after psychological or emotional pressure/stress?
- Do your muscles feel weaker than they should do?
- Do your hands and legs get restless?
- Do you get lighheaded or dizzy when rising rapidly from a sitting or lying position?
- Have you become allergic to foods and other substances that you weren’t before?
- Do you have unexplained and frequent headaches?
- Do you become hungry, confused, shaky or somewhat paralyzed under stress?
- Do you have a decrased tolerance for the cold?
- Have you begun to have feelings of hopelessness or despair?
- Do people irritate you more?
- Do you get swollen glands in your neck quite frequently?
- Do you have times of nausea and vomiting for no apparent reason?
- Do you sometimes feel weak all over?
- Do you often have to force yourself in order to keep going. Everything seems like a chore.
- Do you have difficulty getting up in the morning and don’t really feel awake until 10am?
- Do you feel much better after your lunch meal?
- Do you have an afternoon low between 3.00 and 5.00pm?
- Do you get low energy, moody or foggy if you do not eat regularly?
- Do you usually feel your best after 6.00pm?
- Do you get coughs and colds that stay around for several weeks?
- Do you need coffee or some other stimulant to get going in the morning?
If your symptoms do not include fatigue or decreased ability to handle stress, then you are probably not suffering from adrenal fatigue.
How to help restore adrenal health
- Favour a Vata settling lifestyle
- Favour Vata pacifying food choices
- Learn Transcendental Meditation
- Address your causative factors: if you go to bed after 10pm … then make it a point to be in bed by 10pm light out. Over time it will make a big difference. If you work without adequate rest, holidays or play time… then schedule time for these asap.
- Essential Herbals
First thing upon waking take 2 glasses of warm water. At this time also take 1 tablet of Stress Relief, 1 tablet of Rejuvenation Plus and 2 tablets of Premium Amla Berry. Then have a gentle walk to greet the sun and wake up your mind and body.
Prior Lunch take Energy Plus 2 tablets and after lunch take 2 capsules of Turmeric.
Prior your evening meal take 1 tablet of Stress Relief, 1 tablet of Rejuvenation Plus and 2 tablets of Premium Amla Berry. After take 2 capsules of Turmeric.
Bedtime take 2 tablets of Worry Free and 2 tablets of Stress Relief with a little warm water.
Through the day drink sips of Tranquilitea every 15-30 minutes.
- If your situation is more complex then consider having an in-person or skype consultation.
Wishing you all the best!