Playing a diet tug of war?
Author: Maharishi Ayurveda Date Posted:21 February 2016
When it comes to weight control, Ayurveda subscribes to a different approach. It doesn't focus on calorie reduction or appetite suppression because that slows down fat and carbohydrate metabolism, leading to excess weight.
Ayurveda doesn't target calorie reduction because that typically leads to the yo-yo effect, in which people return to their previous eating patterns and gain back the weight they lost (and more) while the underlying imbalances are still there. Instead Ayurveda focuses on correcting the primary imbalance that is actually causing the problem.
The primary imbalance causing weight gain also requires consideration of your unique mind body type.
- Some people are naturally round, with a mild appetite and a slow metabolism and require a focused effort to lose weight. This is a Kapha type.
- Others may have a slim-to-thin body shape with a fast metabolism that needs regular meals. When under continual stress or later in life, even this type can find they gain more weight than they are comfortable with. Known as a Vata Type.
- While others have a medium stature with well-defined muscles and a ravenous appetite if meals are late. When this natural appetite for life leads to overwork, lack of sleep and a poor work-life balance then even this hardy metabolism can become overburdened leading to weight gain. Welcome to the Pitta type.
Kapha weight gain
Do you gain weight even though you eat small amounts of food? This is often due to a lack of digestive strength, inadequate dietary fibre and a naturally slow metabolic rate. The solution is to follow a waste and toxin-eliminating Kapha balancing programme.
- Diet Indulge your sensual, nourishing, Kapha nature with delicious home-cooked meals. Eat plenty of legumes, whole grains like barley, and cooked vegetables. Spice generously with thyme, basil, mint, oregano, cumin, turmeric, fresh ginger and black pepper. Avoid red meat, dairy, cold drinks and sugar. More>
- Be Trim 1 Booster Pack Support your fat and carbohydrate metabolism and gently cleanse the channels in your body with this powerful trio of Be Trim 1 tablets, Digest Tone and Be Trim Tea.
- Lifestyle Wake up just prior sunrise and go for a brisk walk, jog or run each morning. You may be surprised how good you will feel for the rest of the day.
Pitta weight gain
Are you often hungry and thirsty? Do you suffer from heartburn and easily become hot, irritable and impatient? This occurs when a person has long-term waste build-up and the channels around the stomach are clogged, creating too much heat in the body. These people should be on a cooling diet to eliminate toxins (e.g. sweet fruits, green vegetables, whole grains, plenty of purified water, and preferring white meats and cold water fish such as salmon).
- Diet Never skip or delay your meals. Eat lunch by 12.30pm and dinner by 7pm. Avoid processed foods, junk foods, cheese, yoghurt, red meat, hot spices, alcohol, caffeine, vinegar, sugary desserts and fried foods. Eat organic, wholesome foods with lots of fresh vegetables and sweet, juicy fruits. Drink plenty of fresh, pure water. More>
- Be Trim 2 Booster Pack for those with a strong or intense appetite. Support your fat and carbohydrate metabolism and gently cleanse the channels in your body with this powerful trio of Be Trim 1 tablets, Digest Tone and Be Trim Tea. Learn more>
- Lifestyle Relax your nervous system by avoiding TV, the computer and telephone after 9pm. Put your light out by 10pm for a cooler, more restful night.
Vata weight gain
Are you normally thin and wiry and have been under a period of mental stress during which you have forgotten to eat? When under stress, Vata type people may forget to eat regularly, thus disturbing their digestion and clogging the channels, which can cause weight gain.
- Diet Eat mainly warm, cooked, wholesome foods at each meal; reserve salads and raw vegetables for side dishes. Avoid cold drinks, iced desserts and other cold foods. More>
- Be Trim 1 Booster Pack Support your fat and carbohydrate metabolism and gently cleanse the channels in your body with this powerful combo of Be Trim 1 tablets, Digest Tone and Be Trim Tea.
- Lifestyle Staying rested is the key for you. Establish a regular routine, including regular bed, waking up and meal times.
The Bottom Line
Your body knows how to restore a balanced weight for you. If you learn to listen to its quiet inner guidance through its messages of hunger and satisfaction, you can achieve a healthy weight with increased stamina, a more efficiently functioning body and a more youthful appearance.
Give it a go… follow the recommendations for your type and reach out for help if you need a hand, we’re here. Click to ask